The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Have So Much To Say...

Really, I do.

I want to talk about my hunt for a full-time emerg position for the end of my residency.

I want to talk about my new part-time job.

I want to talk about balancing medicine with being a mom, and the effect that one has on the other. 

I want to talk about the culture of abuse in medicine and why we shouldn't ignore it anymore.

I want to talk about some of the political bullshit that has been going on around our emerg department.

I want to talk about how going through medical training has changed me as a person... for better and for worse.

I want to talk about some of the crazy cases I've seen (with details changed to protect privacy, of course).

I want to talk about family medicine, and whether or not I'll continue to do it.

There is SO MUCH I want to talk about.

But instead, I am studying. Right now I have 16 days until my emergency medicine board exams. I have come to terms with the fact that I might not pass them. I feel like the other examinees are miles ahead of me. Besides having actually finished the residency program (I still have 3 months to go), they all have 2 months as staff emerg docs under their belts. I am no where near where they are right now, and I feel it. I'm trying not to panic, knowing that the only real consequence to failing this exam is the hit that I'll take to my pride. That, and the $2500 I'll have to shell out to write it again next year. But I'll still be employable. Even in full-time emerg. 

In the meantime, though, I've put my life on hold. I haven't even started to apply for full-time jobs. We haven't even looked into where we'd like to live. My baby weight is still firmly attached to my midsection. I haven't worked out since before getting pregnant. I can count the number of times I've gone for a run since giving birth on my fingers. I haven't read anything but my review books and Tintinalli for months. I've lost touch with long-distance friends and still have managed to live in this town for over a year without any semblance of personal life beyond my husband and my kid. I haven't cooked in so long I forget where our pots are kept. I haven't blogged in ages. 

But for better or for worse, in 19 days it will all be over. 

Thank God.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Life will get better really soon!

10:03 PM

 
Blogger Angie said...

Good luck. 19 days isn't that long to wait for a life, but it's still lots of time to get some studying in.

8:28 AM

 
Blogger Nikki said...

You're almost there. Good luck!!!

6:58 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Sounds like my life. Then I passed the exams and life is much better. Hang in there.

9:18 PM

 
Blogger med neophyte said...

Good luck!
You have made it this far. With all the work, energy and balancing you have had to put in so far, I am sure you will do great.

10:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll get your life back once this is over. And I'll love you regardless!

dkflygirl

10:12 PM

 
Blogger Resident Anesthesiologist Guy (RAG) said...

Wishing you best of luck with everything. Sounds extremely stressful and I hope that you're fairing well.

3:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home